Thursday, October 18, 2007

Squash #2



The farmer's market was full of beautiful squashes- butternut, delicata, spagetti, and kabocha. Overwhelmed by the choices, I asked the young lady behind the table for her favorite. She said "they all taste wonderful fried"... while probably delicious, that was not exactly what I had envisioned for dinner. I decided on the dark green kabocha because I had never cooked with it before and was told that it had an even deeper orange center than butternut. Continuing on my adventurous streak, I decided to use another ingredient I had never used before- phyllo.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/11095

I found this recipe online and thought I could easily omit the bacon, and that roasting the kabocha would add depth to the flavor. It was fun to make, but the phyllo was certainly tricky- so easy to tear and I am not sure mine turned out quite as fluffy or crispy as it should have. Despite the tricky phyllo, the pizza turned out delicious-light. fresh and full of smooth squash flavor. This one's a keeper.

No comments: