Monday, October 15, 2007

First fall challenge...squash

For the sake of cooking with local, seasonal ingredients we have decided to alter the format of our food blog. We will pick one seasonal food and each create a dish featuring the ingredient. Since the weather finally feels like October I got in the mood for our first challenge, squash. I know Dahlia made some secret, savory dish I decided to counter with a desert.

Ginger-Squash Cake with White Chocolate Frosting

I had to make a few substitutions with this recipe because while the grocery store closest to my house has plenty of Ukrainian specialties, they don't have hazelnuts and were out of fresh ginger. So I swapped hazelnuts for pecans which I think worked really well. For the ginger the recipe called for 1/2 teaspoon of ground ginger and 2 tablespoons of fresh. I substituted by using a teaspoon of ginger paste and a tablespoon of ground ginger. Luckily I still have really nice, strong ground ginger from Morocco so the flavor was really nice but not too overpowering. I served this as a desert following a Tuscan Onion Soup that I made for my friends Rita and Megan. It was a lovely, autumnal meal.



You will find the recipe for this here

No comments: