Tuesday, October 30, 2007

"If I eat one more slice of bad pizza..."



Everyone knows how much Shiv and I love Aiello's pizza. Nothing in Ann Arbor can compare, so I have been trying to find alternatives that can satisfy that pizza craving without having to drive 4.5 hours to Murray Avenue in Squirrel Hill. Some of the ready-made pizzas at Whole Foods are nice- American Flatbread and Amy's both work on occassion. On a visit to Trader Joe's though, I came across very nice looking, and very cheap (!) pizza dough. Hmmm.... I have tried making my own dough before, and don't think that could become a regular part of my cooking routine. But ready to go dough! Perfect. Instead of making staight-up pizza though, I figured I could have a little fun and make something I would want to snack on also. Here's what I came up with:

Take dough out of the freezer and let stand at room temp for 20 minutes.
Cut dough into eight equal parts. Indivually roll out each piece into a long skinny strip.
Sprinkle each piece with a little minced garlic, shredded sharp cheddar cheese, shredded parmigiano reggiano, a few chopped rosemary leaves (fresh), a pinch of cayenne and red pepper flakes (if you like it spicy).
Place on a baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil.
Bake in 375 degree over for about 10-12 minutes, or until cheese starts to brown and bubble.

I have made these sticks a few times now, and have paired them with a bunch of main dishes/soups- they seem to complement fall flavors really well because of the earthiness of the rosemary.

No comments: